- Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll), 1832. English mathematician and author of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, written for Alice Liddell, the daughter of a friend.
- Samuel Gompers, 1850. First president of the American Federation of Labor.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1756. Austrian composer.
- Hyman George Rickover, 1900. American naval officer, called the “Father of the Nuclear Navy”.
- Auschwitz Liberated, 1945. The Soviet army liberated about 6,000 prisoners of the Nazi concentration camp, Aushwitz.
- Leningrad Liberated, 1944.
- Vietnam Peace Agreement Signed, 1973.
Events are on our calendar in Iowa.