- Hattie Wyatt Caraway, 1878. First woman elected to the US Senate, in 1932.
- John Ford, 1895. Film director, born Sean Aloysius O’Feeney. Films include
- The Informer, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Grapes of Wrath, How Green Was My Valley, and Mister Roberts. Served in WWII and two documentaries he made earned him Academy Awards.
- Clark Gable, 1901. Actor William Clark Gable, whose films include It Happened One Night, Gone With The Wind, and Mutiny on the Bounty.
- Victor Herbert, 1859. Cellist, conductor and prolific composer of operretas, including Babes In Toyland, Naughty Marietta. Instrumental in the founding of ASCAP.
- Langston Hughes, 1902. African-American poet and author.
Today is #GenealogySelfie Day!
Snap a picture of yourself and post it on Facebook or Twitter with the hashtag #GenealogySelfie so all your genealogy friends will be able to spot you in the madding crowds at RootsTech and other genealogy events. Sponsored by ConferenceKeeper and Geneabloggers.
February is... AMD/Low Vision Awareness Month, American Heart Month, Bake for Family Fun Month, Beat the Heat Month, International Boost Self-Esteem Month, Library Lovers’ Month, Marfan Syndrome Awareness Month, National African-American History Month, National Bird-Feeding Month, National Black History Month, National Cherry Month, National Condom Month, National Mend A Broken Heart Month, National Parent Leadership Month, National Pet Dental Health Month, National Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month, National Time Management Month, Plant the Seeds of Greatness Month, Return Shopping Cards to the Supermarket Month, Spay/Neuter Awareness Month, Spunky Old Broads Month, Wide Healthcare Consumer Month, Worldwide Renaissance of the Heart Month, and Youth Leadership Month. I’m out of breath now.
Call for Papers deadline. 1 deadline today. See https://conferencekeeper.org/call-for-papers/
Contest deadline. https://conferencekeeper.org/contests/
KY – The Underground Railroad in the Ohio River Valley. At Boone County Public Library – Main 1786 Burlington Pike, Burlington. For more info: http://www.bcpl.org/lhg/
OH – East Cuyahoga Chapter OGS Where: Ross DeJohn Community Center. 6306 Marsol Rd. Mayfield Heights. Ohio. Funeral Home Practices and Records. with J. Mark Busch. For more info: http: //www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohcwogs/