- Benedict Arnold, 1741. American officer who deserted to the British during the Revolutionary War. Born in Norwich, CT, married to Peggy Shippen. Died June 14, 1801 in London, England.
- Matthew Fontaine Maury, 1806. Naval officer from Virginia who established oceanography as a branch of science.
- Richard Felton Outcault, 1863. Born in Lancaster, OH, Outcault created the first color cartoons that started the newspaper “funny papers”.
- Albert Schweitzer, 1875. Nobel peace prize winner, theologian, philosopher, organist, and mission doctor in equatorial Africa
- William Whipple, 1730. American patriot and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Today is both National Hot Pastrami Day and National Dress Up Your Pet Day. Perhaps kill two birds with one stone, and dress your pet up like a pastrami sandwich 🙂
The week-long Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy continues!