London, UK, 20th January 2016 Findmypast has announced that this weekend, they will be opening up their archives and giving unlimited free access to billions of records and newspaper pages from all over the world. From 7am on Friday, January 22nd to 7am on Monday, January 25st (EST), absolutely everyone will have access to Findmypast’s comprehensive collections of historical records and innovative research tools, including:
- Millions of records you won’t find anywhere else, including fascinating WW2 Prisoner of War records, millions of England & Wales Crime records and the incredible British in India collection
- The largest online collection of England & Wales Electoral registers, containing over 220 million names
- Birth, marriage and death records dating back to the 18th century
- The largest online collection of UK parish records, dating back to 1538
- Historical newspapers from across the world, including nearly 13 million British newspaper dating all the way back to 1710
- The most comprehensive collection of UK military records anywhere online
- The largest collection of Irish family history records available online
- Passenger lists for ships sailing to and from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and the USA
- An easy to use online family tree builder, which allows you to import and export your tree if you’ve built it elsewhere
- Our Family Tree hints feature, which will suggest potential matches between the ancestors in your tree and records from our archives
Family historians will also have free access to the millions of other records available to search on Findmypast. Access to the 1939 Register has not been included and pay as you go credits will be required in order to unlock household records.
Extended access for existing users
It’s not only new users who’ll enjoy special family history research opportunities this weekend. Those with current Findmypast Local subscriptions (with an active Britain, Ireland, US & Canada or Australia & New Zealand subscription) will be able to access Findmypast’s historical World records during the free access weekend, and those with active World subscriptions will have an additional three days added to their subscription.
Find out more at Findmypast’s dedicated Free Weekend page.
Terms & conditions: Free access lasts from 07:00am (EST) on Friday 22nd January 2016 until 06:59am (EST) on Monday 25th January 2016. To access the records you will need to be signed in at Findmypast: you can register for free using your name, email address and country of residence. The free access excludes the 1939 Register, UK Electoral Registers (2002-2013) and the UK Companies House Directors (2002-2013) record sets. Free access is subject to our fair usage policy: each account may view up to a maximum of 1,000 records per day.